Lagos govt sets March return for monthly sanitation exercise

The Lagos State Government has confirmed that its compulsory monthly sanitation exercise will resume in March 2025, to be observed on the last Saturday of every month. The revival of the programme is part of broader efforts to strengthen environmental hygiene and tackle waste management challenges across the state.

 

Authorities also expressed satisfaction with the progress recorded on the ongoing Lagos Island regeneration initiatives, which are aimed at addressing flooding and improving infrastructure. Residents were encouraged to take personal responsibility for keeping their surroundings clean rather than waiting for government-imposed movement restrictions.

 

The Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab, disclosed the development during an inspection tour of projects and environmental violations on Lagos Island. He was accompanied by the Special Adviser on the Environment, Kunle Rotimi-Akodu.

 

Wahab explained that the sanitation exercise, previously held between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. on the last Saturday of each month, was suspended in November 2016 due to the difficulties of enforcing movement restrictions in a densely populated city. However, the growing volume of refuse, blocked drainage channels, and indiscriminate waste disposal have made its reinstatement necessary.

 

He noted that although the government initially planned to restart the exercise earlier, logistical constraints required further consultations to agree on a suitable date. He expressed confidence that the programme would begin in March or possibly sooner.

 

According to the commissioner, the state’s environmental challenge is largely one of public discipline rather than inadequate waste infrastructure. He identified markets along major corridors as significant contributors to illegal dumping, despite having access to waste bins, and warned that stricter enforcement measures would soon be implemented.

 

On the Lagos Island regeneration efforts, Wahab assured residents that work to upgrade drainage systems and public spaces is progressing steadily. He said areas previously prone to flooding are already experiencing noticeable improvements.

 

During the visit, officials also inspected the Oja-Oba underbridge, which is slated for redevelopment under a proposed public-private partnership and corporate social responsibility arrangement. Wahab stated that clearing operations are ongoing while discussions with prospective partners continue, with the project set to be delivered in phases.

 

He stressed that environmental sanitation should become a sustained habit rather than a periodic obligation enforced by the government. Setting aside a few hours each Saturday to clean one’s surroundings, he said, reflects the spirit behind the sanitation exercise.

 

The decision to reinstate the programme followed extensive deliberations by the Lagos Executive Council and legal guidance from the Ministry of Justice. Wahab clarified that previous legal disputes focused on movement restrictions rather than the sanitation exercise itself, adding that the government is committed to restoring and sustaining a culture of environmental responsibility in Lagos.